Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Will Biggest Loser Season 14 "confront" or "exploit" childhood obesity?

Biggest Loser gym on set at the Gillette Ranch, Santa Monica Mountains
My friend Angela Ashley just told me that Season 14 of The Biggest Loser will premiere in January with Jillian, Dolvett, and Bob as trainers. She said:
The series will have some surprises along with the introduction of childhood obesity into the show. 
Each of the three trainers will have one teen (13-17 years old) on their group who will train and be followed by a special medical team with expertise in childhood/adolescent nutrition. These teens will not be eliminated as the other contestants. They will be followed throughout the show by the medical team and also after they return home for long term weight/healthy lifestyle management. I read that they would not be weighing on camera as the other contestants. 
Personally, I think that this is an excellent idea. In light of the fact that September is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, this is one example of how more must be done to help children and teens become healthier and live happier and more productive lives.

I couldn't agree more, Angela! By the way, I was at the Gillette Ranch in the Santa Monica Mountains just outside of Malibu recently and I stumbled upon the Biggest Loser set. They prop people were busy getting the gym ready, and I chatted with someone from production who said filming was going to start sometime next week! Casting is still being finalized.

There's a spot called Inspiration Point that I plan to hike to during the filming to see if I can glimpse a bit of what's going on. I'll post pics if I get some, for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment