Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How to lose weight without even trying - yeah right!

Permanent weight loss is not something that just happens. But it does happen. With modest effort and keen focus on key details like caloric intake, nutrient variety and consistent exercise, significant weight loss to overcome obesity and lifelong weight management are possible for almost anyone.

In my journey to overcome super obesity and live the life I deserve, I lost 165 pounds over the course of 18 months. At the end of that time, during which I held my caloric intake to 1,800 calories a day and exercised or at least 20 minutes five days per week, I decided to give myself a break. I eat more or less what I was eating before, but I gave myself days and times when I would enjoy my favorite snacks, like ice cream, cake and cookies, which I had strictly given up while I was in pure weight loss mode.

Permanent weight loss is possible with modest effort and keen focus
For the past two years, since easing up on my restrictive diet and exercise regime, my weight has fluctuated between 265 and 295 pounds. I have gained and lost the same 30 pounds a number of times. This is because I have not really had any "habits"; My effort has been strong, but not consistent, and so my weight loss and weight gain has been as sporatic as my food intake and lifestyle choices.

The one thing that has remained consistent throughout this time of flux is hiking. I continue to hike between 10 and 20 miles per week. If it were not for hiking, I'm sure I would have broken into the 300 club once again. I have been careful not to do so. Still, I am not satisfied where I am currently, and though I have set goals time and time again over the last two years, I have failed to follow through with them with the same consistency as I had during that glorious 18 months of consistent weight loss.

So here I am, once again, considering where I am and where I want to be. I just returned from the grocery store where I stocked up on some of my favorite organic, hunger-satisfying staples - Greek yogurt, carrots, celery, apples. These snacks always keep me from taking extra servings from my stash of trail food - nuts, seeds, dried fruits and granola. While these things are considerably more "healthy" than ice cream, cakes and cookies, the extra fat from the nuts and seeds and calories from the dried fruits and granola can just as easily put me well over my daily caloric intake goals with a simple snap of the wrist and chomp of the jaw.

So without being explicit with my weight loss goals, or the manner in which I plan to achieve these goals, I'm putting it out here once again that I am cognizant of my need to regain focus, and I am currently in the process of doing just that. So I hope you'll keep checking back in with me from time to time to see how I'm doing, because while I know I have the strength and courage to tackle my goals on my own, I know I'm much more likely to succeed with my #fitfam supporters keeping me accountable along the way.

Thanks, as always! You guys rock!



No comments:

Post a Comment