Saturday, August 14, 2010

I'm trying to get on the Dr. Oz show

I've just submitted a request to be on the Dr. Oz show. I don't know if they'll even read the submission, but I hope they do. I'd love to share my story with people so they can see that real people can change their destiny without weight-loss surgery or crazy diet schemes.

Here's what I submitted:

When I hit 420 pounds I couldn't believe it. How had this happened to me? Well, that's a long story, but not so different from so many others who learn to cope with life's challenges by eating. I had an addiction - eating out, appetizers and full meals all day long, and then candy, sodas, pizza and Chinese-food delivery late at night. I wasn't exercising. And I was in a relationship with someone who liked me with my full figure. He would do anything for me. Pick things up off the floor because I couldn't reach. Outfit the bathroom with special tools so I could fit more comfortably. Help me out financially so I could afford the cost of gaining weight. In general, I was living my life without any self respect. And my weight was getting out of control. I felt my next step would've been becoming bed-ridden, or death.

I decided about a year ago to do something about it. Dr. Oz inspired me in many ways. In January, I decided to start one of those prepackaged diet programs to jump start my weight loss - I didn't know anything about portion control and had no idea how many calories I was eating or how many I should be eating. I was scared I wouldn't be able to manage my hunger. And I was too fat to exercise.

I watched Dr. Oz around the same week that I started the new diet regimen and I saw a show that had to do with truckers and their diet and how long it took food to process through their bodies. This helped me visualize food as a fuel and not as something to do just to pass the time. I began to see rapid results. I did the diet program for two months but soon transitioned to doing my own routine based on a variety of factors. I read lots of books. Started going to the gym. Found friends who supported my weight loss. This has been a struggle believe it or not because I had found myself rooted in the enabling chubby-chaser community over the past decade of my weight gain and I think many of these friends see my weight-loss as a slap in the face.

I have since lost 125 pounds and am still on track to lose 70 more. Currently I weigh in at 293 and people say I look 10 years younger. I certainly feel it! I'm proud of my success and would like to share my story with others. SURGERY IS NOT NECESSARY!!!!! I want to thank Dr. Oz, too, because he inspires me so much with his straightforward advice. I am an community education teacher and program coordinator in Miami and am creating a new class for intermediate English learners who work in health-related fields called Intermediate English for Health, Fitness and Nutrition. As part of the class I will have my students read Dr. Oz’s book You: An Owner's Manual. I want to inspire people who work in the field of nutrition and health.

Well, that's about it. If you want to see more of my story, check out my blog at www.fitness400.blogspot.com. Pictures are available there, too, but as a disclaimer I am not giving you rights to publish any content or photos on the blog, but I don’t mind my blog address being shared. I'm also working on writing a book, although I don't know what form it will take. I just want to help others know that they can do this and that it's all up to them. We all have the power to change our own destinies.

No comments:

Post a Comment