Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Soon-to-be shorts weather hiking Sandia Mountains

Spring is in the air; the sun gets brighter as each day grows longer. The air is brisk but the sun's warmth and the heat of hiking make it shorts-with-longs-sleeves weather. Today, though, I was out in jeans, wearing a long-sleeve wicking layer, a thin cotton sweater and down vest, and I felt comfortable as well. I have days off next week and will plan my hike-wear accordingly as I explore the Southern Sandias.

Your blogger, Brian, descending a dry waterfall in the Southern Sandias
Today I hiked with a friend across a saddle ridge and down into a canyon that led up to a humongous dry white-walled waterfall, which we climbed. From the top I could see the up into the textured South Mountain side peaks. I took a few pics; below are two of my favorites. I'll share more, along with the story of how to execute this hike, on my blog HikeyHikey.


Trail leading northeast from Hilldale Trailhead to the U-Mound Ridge
Looking west toward the U-Mound, from halfway up dry waterfall




No comments:

Post a Comment