Thursday, January 26, 2023

Sustained grieving takes its toll on mind and body

In January of 2015, I had no way of knowing that by the end of the year I would watch my mother, diagnosed with brain cancer that had spread from her lungs, whither and die before the fall. I was unprepared for the depths to which my grief would take me. 

Pre-grief Brian averaged 20 miles of trail time per week. Then, reacting in sadness, I stopped doing every healthy activity I had come to embrace and love since recording a new 200-pound weight loss a half decade before.
In January, I had no idea by August I would plunge into an 8-year grief depression
In those precursive years, I had accomplished so much; I had hiked to mountaintops and experienced the elative accomplishment of seeing breathtaking views of God's creation that very few will ever know. But in less than a year from my mother's passing, as a result of gluttony, my indulgence in grief, I would pack on more than 150 pounds.

Back on the road to recovery since the new year, I've lost 31 pounds so far this month by making major adjustments to my diet. The next step is to increase movement. Then, I'll add resistance training at the gym to reignite dormant muscle. In no time, I'll be back to climbing mountains. 

Join me on my journey by following this blog, and look for my Facebook page of the same name - MyFitLife2Day - for inspiration and motivation taken from my own experience of seeking the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment